Wednesday, June 2, 2010

10 weeks 6 days to go!

Instead of counting up, I have started counting down!  I am getting close, and I can't wait to meet our two new little additions to our family.  It will be here before we know it or expect it!

I had a doctor appointment today with my OB.  The ultrasound was first.  It was very exciting and fun to see the little miracles again.  God is so good!  It is amazing how he creates them!  We even got to see Baby B sucking on the hand and yawning!  Baby A had its foot over its head - yes, basically folded in half.  They each have their personalities - Baby B showed us its face, Baby A was shy and hid its face.

On to the statistical details...

Baby A

Weight - 3 pounds 2 ounces (increase of 1 pound 6 ounces)

Heartbeat - 143 beats

Measuring - in the 79th percentile

Baby B

Weight - 2 pounds 12 ounces (increase of 14 ounces)

Heartbeat - 143 beats

Measuring - in the 63rd percentile

The babies are doing fabulous and honestly my body is doing fairly well.  Yes, I have to be careful to not overdo it on a daily basis and to know my limits and rest when I need to, but that is to be expected.  I also know that I can't expect to stand immediately and run or get up and expect to jump out of bed - but I am adjusting to those inconveniences.  I am also slowly adjusting to a lack of sleep - God is preparing me for when these two miracles come...

Medically, I am measuring 38 weeks (full term) and still have 10 weeks to go.  The doctor just smiled and laughed.  She still says that I won't go over 42 weeks measurement (the biggest she has ever seen).  I wonder...  However, now I know why none of my maternity clothes are fitting.

My blood pressure was 124/70 (very good!).  I have even lost one pound in the last month.  That baffles my mind - since I have gained 2 pounds 4 ounces in baby weight. The good news is that the doctor isn't worried and actually chuckled.  She said as long as the babies are looking good and growing she isn't worried.  And, they are definitely growing!

As for the gestational diabetes, I am adjusting.  I take my blood sugars 6 times a day now (before and after each meal) and do insulin 4 times a day (before every meal and at bedtime). It has made a big difference in my blood sugar levels.  I talked to the endocrinologist yesterday, and he said that gestational diabetes is more common the older you get and the more pregnancies you have and especially with multiples.  Well, I am hitting that threshold of 30 (the age they consider being pregnant "older") and have multiples.  He also said that this is more than likely a temporary condition and will "disappear" the instant the babies are born.  He also said that even though I have an increased risk of Type II diabetes later in life, it isn't as high due to not having a family history of diabetes.  It has been an adjustment, but it has been good.  The weight loss still baffles me through all of this though because I am actually eating more since having gestational diabetes because of the # of carbs that are required.  It is so crazy!  

Finally, I go back in 2 weeks and then in another 2 weeks with an ultrasound then.  After that, it is weekly checks with a non-stress test every week.  This test is an hour test where they hook monitors up and make sure that each babies heartrate is good and that movements are good.  So, it will be interesting to see how things turn out.  Like I said, only another 10 weeks and 6 days to go - not that anyone is counting!

I will try to post an update between now and then - but between the garden, keeping up with mowing lawn, chasing after the girls, resting, and trying hard to finish remodeling our oldest daughter's room - I am busy!  

No comments: