Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 30th appointment

I had a much anticipated appointment this morning at 9 am.  It started out with an ultrasound.  The ultrasound went well - except for the hip/back pain associated with laying in one position on a hard table for so long.  But, at least I got to see our two precious babies and enjoy watching them breathe and their hearts beat.  Yes, babies in the tummy breathe - they move amniotic fluid in and out of their little lungs to practice for when they are born.  It was amazing to watch!

The ultrasound showed that both babies are breach - with their heads in my ribs.  Baby A is facing down and Baby B is facing up.  My dear husband and I laugh because we know they are already conspiring against us!  :-)

I then met with the doctor.  She told me the stats on the babies - listed below.

Baby A

weight - 4 pounds 11 ounces (up from 3 pounds 2 ounces 4 weeks ago)

heartbeat - 143 beats per minute

measuring - 67th percentile 

Baby B

weight - 4 pounds 4 ounces (up from 2 pounds 12 ounces 4 weeks ago)

heartbeat - 129 beats per minute

measuring - 53rd percentile

Overall, the babies are still growing but their growh rate has slowed down.  They are both measuring in a lower percentile than they were 4 weeks ago - which is perfectly okay.  No worries with that - and I will say that I am perfectly ok with that as well!

During the ultrasound, a biophysical test was performed on each baby to check it's stress level.  8 points were possible and both babies scored 100%.  This just tells the doctor that neither baby is in stress or showing signs of distress and the pregnancy is progressing along good.  

As for me, my blood pressure was 118/62.  When the nurse got done taking this she just looked at me and shook her head.  I asked her what and she said that she keeps expecting it to be much higher or at least have changed drastically since the last appointment.  Needless to say, both her and the doctor were impressed!  I have not gained nor lost any weight from 2 weeks ago - so that is fine.  The doctor laughed at me today because even though I have almost 9 pounds of baby in me - I have not gained any weight.  The nurse even commented that besides my tummy, I am looking thinner.  The doctor is not worried about my weight as she can tell the babies are healthy and I am healthy.  Finally, I am measuring 40 weeks at 31 weeks and 6 days. The doctor is hoping that this remains stable for a few weeks - as am I!

Other than the appointment, my hips and low back do not feel very good.  I am in quite a bit of pain much of the time - but know that it will be worth it in the end.  It is just a matter of time before these precious bundles are born.

After the appointment, I ran to the store and met the rest of my family at a park.  We ate a picnic lunch and then took our 2 girls swimming.  We are home now and resting getting ready for a fun packed night of working outside!  I am so thankful that the humidity is down and the temperature is down as well!  

I had better go get supper around and wake the girls up - that way they will go to sleep tonight.  Just wanted to let everyone know how things were going!  

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!  

No comments: