Saturday, June 12, 2010

Iowa in June

I don't know about anyone else, but I so easily forget what summer can be like in Iowa.  It can go from being 66 and rainy one day to 90 and extremely hot and humid the next.  It can be comfortable and 70 before lunch but get so hot and humid after lunch that you can hardly stand to be outside.

On Wednesday night, my dear husband asked me to sit outside with him after we got the girls to bed.  So, we were sitting outside and even though I didn't "hear the corn grow,"  I definitely smelt the corn growing.  It is amazing how much the corn has grown in the past few days.  It has definitely gained at least 6 inches - as have many of our plants in the garden.  My dear husband told me today that I almost have zucchini ready!

While we were sitting outside, we listened and took everything in.  We heard animals talking back and forth, we saw the stars, we watched our cat and dog play (not together though), and we enjoyed seeing the lightening bugs (or fireflys as some call them).  The ground has finally reached a temperature where the lightening bugs have emerged from the ground.  It is such an exciting time full of life and growth!

Not only is the corn and beans growing and our garden growing, our girls are growing as well.  They are both getting more mature and bigger in size.  Blessing, on Thursday night, did something she had never done before that blew me away and made me realize how "old" she is getting.  We got home from worship team practice at about 9:30 pm after an extremely long day of being gone - but connecting and enjoying friends and fellowship.  We got home and I asked her to please go get her pajamas on.  She went and did that after asking if she could come back downstairs.  Her little sister was eating a snack, and she didn't want one.  I said of course she could come back down.  She was reclining on a chair and after a few minutes asked if she could just go to her bed.  I said definitely.  I got Joy around and headed upstairs, planning on finding Blessing either playing in her room or reading in her room.  What I found surprised me!

Blessing was in her bed, with her light off, almost asleep!  I finished getting Joy around for bed, and she was not happy (overly tired).  Once I got her to bed, I went back to Blessing, kissed her and asked if she wanted her music on.  She hardly moved, but answered yes please.  So, I turned on her music and watched the news.  Not a word out of her until Friday morning.  

Part of me longs for more days where she will do that, but at the same time I realize that she is growing up and maturing, just like the corn.  Joy is doing the same thing, but in different ways.

I am definitely taking the time to enjoy my two little girls as I anxiously prepare for the birth of our twins.  I find it bittersweet that things will change while exciting at the same time.

Take time to enjoy what you have - as things change each and every day!

No comments: