Thursday, June 14, 2007

No AC and record temps

I am sitting in Portland, WI right now at a hotel enjoying wireless internet very much. It is so very fast compared to my general dial-up connection at home. I could enjoy this so much longer than just one night.

We left this morning from home at around 8:40 am. We were hoping to leave by 7:30 this morning but I couldn't sleep last night. I laid awake and was just about asleep when I smelt something burning. I got a little worried and woke Mr. Tall up about 2:30 am. We walked around the house and nothing was burning. I went outside and found the source: the burn barrell. The wind was just in the right direction. So, back to bed and back to sleep for Mr. Tall. I laid awake. It was about 4 am when I finally went to sleep. So, when Blessing wasn't up at 6:30 this morning, I didn't stress and just slept until she woke us up - about 7:30.

Getting on the road at 8:40 wasn't bad. We arrived at my alma mater about 10 am. It was so great to spend some time on campus and to see some people that helped me through college. We even had the chance to visit with my clarinet professor - an amazing man. He has a wonderful wife who is so knowledgeable as an ethnomusicologist and 2 sons - Anton and Vaalik. Their sons are so eccentric - it was fun to watch them today play with Blessing. We ate a picnic lunch on campus and took off about 1:40 in the afternoon. It was hot as we only have 4-55 air conditioning (4 windows down and 55 mph). However, we took a road that followed a river - very very curvy and slow going at times. It was a huge blessing though as we stayed cooler due to being close to a river. Thank you Lord!

We arrived at Portage, WI at about 6:00 pm tonight - it was a long trip, but God is good! He kept us safe thus far. We unpacked at our hotel for the night and went to dinner. We were hoping for a nice meal out, but it turned out to not be so good. The service was terrible and the food came out cold and not fully cooked. I had a rotten tomato on my salad and the lettuce core in there as well. We had to ask for water every time the waitress can around. I guess we should have just went to McDonalds and eaten. You live and learn!

Blessing made the trip relatively well. She slept the first leg to college and then the next 2 hours to a small town to get bas. She was awake the rest of the time. We stopped at a Wayside Park to let her get out and run. When we got to the hotel, she just wanted to be down and crawl and move around. I can't blame her!

After dinner, we even took her swimming. I will post pictures tomorrow when I take a few more (our battery died tonight and I had to go get another one). She loved the pool and enjoyed having mommy and daddy's undivided attention. So many smiles, laughs, and giggles. What joy she brings to our life.

Plans for tommorow with more record temps in WI - drive the rest of the way to Missy's house and enjoy the countryside and special touristy areas - Wisconsin Dells especially.

So, God is good once again for safe travels. Please pray for a continued safe trip and an enjoyable time for all!

No comments: