Monday, May 28, 2007

Making a House a Home

My husband and I have lived in the same house for 2 years and 9 months. So, it is quite a long time to live at the same place, especially for us considering we have only been married 2 years and 11 months!

Well, for the first 2 years, we had no pictures hung on the walls and much stuff was still in boxes. Then, I was pregnant and decided that we needed to make it feel a little bit more like home, so we unpacked and organized and started making it feel more like a home.

Well, as you read from the previous post, things have been tough this year. We haven't known whether or not we will be able to afford the house where we are living (especially since our landlord just finished putting on new siding and installing new windows). Our rent will have increased almost $100 in the next couple of months from a year ago. Crazy since we really don't have a stable income right now.

Anyway, back to the point. My husband has been working at a local greenhouse and they tend to throw away a lot of flowers that are just not top quality. My husband, being the flower hater that he is and understanding that we have no money, has been going dumpster diving! All for me! I had a meeting a week ago and did not get home until late. When I got home, he had planted me a flower bed next to our front porch - all to surprise me and make me feel a little happier. It was so special. I have never felt that loved, especially since he isn't a real big fan of flowers.

Anyway, on Friday of last week he surprised me with a whole trunk and rear seat of the car full of flowers. A result of dumpster diving! Oh, if I could have only taken pictures of that!!! Anyway, today was the day that we planted them. This required digging up some sod and leveling out some areas. But, through it all, we laughed and smiled and sweat! It was a grand time. To me, our house feels more like a home now, just by planting a few flowers that other people were going to throw out! I really take pride in the outside of my house (more than the inside sometimes) and enjoyed driving up to it to see flowers. (I had to leave just so I could drive up and see the fruits of our labors!)

It is amazing what us wives are supposed to do for our husbands. It is well worth our time and effort to make our houses home. Hopefully when we move, we will make sure to get right on that task and not wait 2 years and 9 months to do it!

I will post pictures when I download them off of my camera. What a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Aw! I love it when hubby's do wonderful things for us like this! What a sweetheart! Though it is sometimes hard to start this homebuilding process, it really is quite rewarding. Your flowerbeds look amazing...